Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WCS: LA Galaxy @ SJ Earthquakes (11/7)

Western Conference Semifinal
    San Jose Earthquakes vs LA Galaxy

Wednesday, November 7, 2012
    Buck Shaw Stadium
    Kick-off: 8:00 p.m
    ACB Viewing Party: Bastards in Downey

A goal in stoppage time gave San Jose a 1-0 victory this past Sunday night at the Home Depot Center. A questionable free kick was given to San Jose, and the shot was deflected off Omar Gonzalez’s leg and trickled its way past Josh Saunders. On Wednesday the Galaxy will try to keep the season from ending at Buck Shaw Stadium.

When it looked like the first leg of the Western Conference Semifinals between LA and SJ would end 0-0, the Galaxy gave up a goal to go down 1-0. Now, the Galaxy must win by 1 goal to push the series to extra time (and possibly penalty kicks) or by 2 goals to advance directly, since away goals don’t matter.

Although the Galaxy controlled most of the game, there were not many chances created in the final third. The first shot on goal was in the 66th minute, and it came from defender Sean Franklin. LA’s best look on goal was in the 83rd minute, when Robbie Keane’s shot hit the crossbar. The Galaxy will have to do a better job creating goal scoring opportunities if they want to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

In the regular season the Earthquakes and Galaxy had the top two offenses in the league. In their three regular season meetings a total of 16 goals were scored between the two, with the Earthquakes outscoring the Galaxy 9-7. It wasn’t until October 21st that the Galaxy would score their first goals at Buck Shaw Stadium since the Earthquakes started playing there in 2010.

It’s do or die time for the Galaxy on Wednesday. It’s been a difficult season for the defending champions, and on Wednesday night either the season will end for LA or the dream to repeat as champions will continue.

Aggregate:
    SJ 1-0 LA

Let’s Go LA!
    THIS IS LA!

*Viewing Party Information on ACB's Facebook page under "Events" tab.

Stoppage time goal aside, it was the Galaxy who controlled the tempo for wide stretches of the game, leading San Jose in possession (57.6 to 42.4), and attempts on goal (12 to 8), though a lack of sharpness in front of goal meant that the Galaxy did not register a shot on goal until the 66th minute of play.
    “We didn’t have too many great chances, but obviously unlucky with Robbie’s and probably didn’t run hard enough in front of the goal with a lot of the crosses we had,” said Donovan. “We got a number of decent chances and some good attacking play, and on Wednesday we’ve got to score.”
    The goal was the fourth straight goal that LA have conceded to San Jose on set pieces, a mark that began with Chris Wondolowski’s finish of a Marvin Chavez corner kick in the 61st minute of San Jose's 4-3 win over LA at Stanford Stadium in late June.

“It’s tough, but we have another game, and you’ve got to bounce back from it,” said Saunders. “It shows true character if you can come back and win this game, especially for myself, to put a good performance on the field.”
    Galaxy looking to comeback after defeat

"Our mindset doesn't change going into the game, whether it was nil-nil or, obviously, the result that we got," said Beckham. "We still feel that we'd always have to go to San Jose to win the game. I think that they kind of sat back and in the end, they were going for the draw and accepting that. But obviously, you get a free kick like that then there’s a chance that you're going to score Unfortunately they did, but I think that overall our defending was great throughout the whole game. It’s just tough to concede that late in the game. They've come here and beat us, there’s no reason why we can't go there and beat them. It’s going to be tough."

And what does Beckham think about his first trip to Buck Shaw?

“We'll see,” Beckham said while flashing a smile. “I'll tell you on Wednesday.”
    Beckham's first trip to B.S stadium

I'm amazed that this preview is more thoughtful, organized and with better grammar and even spelling than the official one over at LAGalaxy.com
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

It seems the G's are pumped up and ready for action, they really want to convert all of the chances they missed and not just futs around.
    I hope we go in there and crush SJ. I also hope Bruce comes to his senses and plays not Buddle, and also Wilhemsson.
    ////////////////////////////// L A | ★ ★ ★ ★ | Galaxy //////////////////////////////
    Hi I'm Adrian - Twitter - Pinterest - flickr -------------------- Mein Herz liegt in Deutschland /////////

Definitely.

There is no excuse to play Buddle at this point. Chippen has scored more than Buddle in games played since they both joined/rejoined the line up. He's also creating more chances and stretching defenses more.

Donovan -- Keane
    Magee -- Juninho -- Beckham -- Wilhelmsson
    Dunivant -- Meyer -- Gonzalez -- Sarvas
    Saunders

Destroy Destroy Destroy
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

i still have hope, a lot of it
    i think we can do this if we attack from the first whistle and throw everything at them early
    LET'S GO GALAXY

I want Magee to bear my children

Quote Originally Posted by glocksout View Post
    Donovan -- Keane
    Magee -- Juninho -- Beckham -- Wilhelmsson
    Dunivant -- Meyer -- Gonzalez -- Sarvas
    Saunders
    I'd put Franklin as rb and have Sarvas instead of Beckham. The chemistry between Juninho and Sarvas is always good. Also, by having Magee, Sarvas, Juninho, and Wilhelmsson playing together the ball is more likely to spend less time in the air. At times balls are just launched, they're no longer crosses. It's something the team abuses with Beckham on the pitch.

But with Beckham not going 90' vs SJ on Sunday I expect him to start on Wednesday.

Franklin still is our starting rb, but sarvas played good in that position against Seattle and I wanna say he started the play that led to the goal but I can't quite remember if that part is true.
    What's the difference between a chimichanga, a chalupa, and a tostada? Call me back asap . . . it's urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel View Post
    Franklin still is our starting rb, but sarvas played good in that position against Seattle and I wanna say he started the play that led to the goal but I can't quite remember if that part is true.
    nah foo Sarvas is a mid, we played a 3-4-3 when he came in

i expect an onslaught! Come on G's Lets get the WIN and show these ultras how its really done

We need Beckham in to take penalties, which SJ will give us (or Keane will take). Sarvas and Juninho do hold down the midfield well, but we also know that SJ is going to try to hold onto their lead here now that the round is theirs to lose, and dumping high balls into the box creates more chances to score with two lines of defenders in the box than trying to go through it all.

Of course obviously we'll use the long game plan Bruce has been doing, playing Franklin early on to beat up the defenders and then bringing in Sarvas or Magee to clean up when they start lagging after 60 minutes or so.

That seems to have been the plan over the last three games or so. One of the backs moved up into midfield making 3-4-3 in the last 20 minutes to make the win.
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

I'm tired of waiting. I'm so impatient. I can barely sleep.
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

Great read Arturo. This game is going to be VISCERAL. Not only that, but it's my birthday tomorrow. G's gotta give me the best gift of all.
    An exclamation one might say if one were to meet a dragon: "Draco!!!! Strectus, Strectus, Strectus. Mortimus Sum!"
    Dragon!!!! Shit, Shit, Shit. I'm going to die!

AJ made the trip, I wonder if he'll play. Meyer has done a great job filling in, he's definitely improved.