Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MLS Cup: LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo (12/1)

MLS Cup
    LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo

Saturday, December 1, 2012
    The Home Depot Center
    Kick-off: 1:30 p.m

On December 1st the LA Galaxy and Houston Dynamo will meet at the Home Depot Center with the MLS Cup on the line. The possibilities of having a rematch of last year’s MLS Cup final, especially at the same venue, weren’t many, but in the end both LA and Houston made it happen.

The road to the MLS Cup was a difficult one for the Galaxy. At one point being 3-8-2, on a seven game winless streak and last in the Western Conference, not many believed the 2011 Champions would be defending the cup in December. The first half of the season was more difficult for the Galaxy than anyone could have imagined. The absence of Omar Gonzalez hurt the team, as seen in the results. Many changes were made in the line-up, and though several players stepped in none were able to replace the 2011 Defender of the Year. Eighteen games into the season, the Galaxy had allowed more goals than they had all of last year. As if the Galaxy weren’t having enough problems in the defensive end, Josh Saunders would become unavailable after having to take care of personal issues. The Galaxy was unable to win any of the seven games played during his absence.

After the international break in June a different Galaxy team appeared. Led by Keane’s 16 goals and Donovan’s and Beckham’s combined 23 assists, this team would go 13-4-4 to end the season. The 4-0 loss to Seattle was a key point in the season, as the Galaxy would go on a ten game unbeaten run in all competitions. Not only did LA leave the bottom of the table, they also managed to advance from the CONCACAF Champions’ League group stage undefeated. The reserves, who played most of the CCL games, also won the West in the Reserve League, closing their campaign with a 6-0 victory over the Whitecaps.

Having finished the regular season in fourth place, LA would have to play a knockout round game against the Whitecaps, who finished in fifth. Vancouver scored in the opening minutes and would lead for most of the game. It was none other than Mike Magee who would appear for the Galaxy again in playoffs, like he did last year. In the 68th minute Magee would tie the game for LA, while five minutes later Landon Donovan would give the Galaxy the 2-1 lead and a spot in the Western Conference Semifinals.

In the Western Conference Semifinals the Galaxy would face the winners of the 2012 Supporters’ Shield, the SJ Earthquakes. The Earthquakes took a 1-0 lead into the second leg, after LA allowed a goal off a deflection in stoppage time at the Home Depot Center. In the second leg, facing elimination, the Galaxy went out and immediately put pressure on the Earthquakes. Robbie Keane would score twice and Magee would add another to give LA a 3-0 lead at halftime. The Galaxy would win the game (3-1) and the series (3-2 aggregate) and would advance to the Western Conference Final knocking out the top seed in the process.

The Western Conference Final would be played between the Galaxy and the Seattle Sounders. The Sounders were in this stage of the postseason for the first time in history, and the pressure might have gotten to them. In the first leg, once again, Robbie Keane would lead the way for LA. Keane had a brace and once again Magee added another goal to give the Galaxy a 3-0 lead in the first leg. Seattle would need to recover from a 0-3 deficit in the second leg, and at one point it seemed like a real possibility. With the Sounders up 2-0 in the second half, Keane would earn a penalty kick for the Galaxy, which he would convert himself. Ultimately, that was too much for the Sounders to overcome and the Galaxy would win the Western Conference Championship (4-2 on aggregate) and would advance to the MLS Cup for the third time in the past four years.

In the Eastern Conference, it was another lower-seeded team who would advance to the MLS Cup. The Houston Dynamo ended the regular season in fifth place, and like the Galaxy, would have to play a knockout round game to determine if their season would continue. The Dynamo visited the Chicago Fire in the knockout game, and behind a brace from Will Bruin, Houston would advance with a 2-1 victory. In the Conference Semifinals the Dynamo would face Sporting KC, who ended the season in first place in their conference. Similar to what the Galaxy did against San Jose, the Dynamo eliminated the top seeded team with a 2-1 aggregate result. In the Conference Final the Dynamo faced DC United, who looked to return to the MLS Cup final after many years. Houston took a 3-1 lead into the second leg and would advance to the MLS Cup after winning the series 4-2 on aggregate.

This edition of the MLS Cup will be a memorable one. Not only is it a rematch of last year’s championship game, but it has been announced that on December 1st David Beckham will play his last game for the LA Galaxy. Six years have passed since his arrival in Los Angeles, and Beckham will leave the Galaxy after having helped the team win 3 Western Conference Championships, two Supporters’ Shields and making 3 appearances in the MLS Cup.

But we can’t led the end of an era overshadow the MLS Cup. The Galaxy will be looking to win a fourth championship but will have a difficult task dealing with the Houston Dynamo, who will be making a fourth appearance in the MLS Cup since relocating from San Jose seven years ago. The Dynamo had not lost an MLS Cup up until last year, when Donovan gave LA a 1-0 victory. Robbie Keane, who had 16 goals in the regular season, has scored five so far in the playoffs, while Mike Magee has added three to help the Galaxy advance to the final. The Galaxy has not been able to field a full-strength starting eleven in the playoffs, missing players such as AJ DeLaGarza, Sean Franklin, Landon Donovan, and Juninho for various reasons. That hasn’t been a problem for the team as players who have stepped in to replace them have gotten the job done.

In their only meeting during the regular season, the Galaxy fell 2-1 to Houston. After Buddle gave LA a 1-0 lead, Magee scored an own goal and Hainault would give the Dynamo the victory with a header. This would be the Galaxy’s final game before the international break, after which they would work their way up the standings.

Here’s how the Galaxy and Dynamo ended their regular season:

LA Galaxy:
    54 points, 59 GF, 47 GA
    16-12-6, 4th in Western Conference
    Home Record: 10-6-1
    Away Record: 6-6-5

Playoffs:
    LA Galaxy 2-1 Whitecaps
    LA Galaxy 3-2 Earthquakes
    LA Galaxy 4-2 Sounders

Houston Dynamo:
    53 points, 48 GF, 41 GA
    14-9-11, 5th in Western Conference
    Home Record: 11-0-6
    Away Record: 3-9-5

Playoffs:
    Dynamo 2-1 Fire
    Dynamo 2-1 Sporting KC
    Dynamo 4-2 DC United

THIS IS LA!

Dec 1st cant come any sooner!!!!!!!!!!!
    adsnfkasdnfka snibnirjbnqijr bnqirbnqwibnqribjn323ub2n039bu2nb092unbqiprnqbponb qpoerbnp an pboanspbojanspobasndbpoas BEER!!!! adngpqiwjnqiwjnbqjgnqrbnir girhgiorgnirjg erijgn alekjgnalkjfnirjvnoq3irvoq3ir qnijn qwiejfn aqwifnadkj fnasdjfn oijniorjnv qor

!!ULTRA BEAST!!

http://www.facebook.com/ultrabeast.hmp

http://youtu.be/ZYi1G9ZbC38

i expect meyer to start! I dont even want to see buddle on the bench!
    adsnfkasdnfka snibnirjbnqijr bnqirbnqwibnqribjn323ub2n039bu2nb092unbqiprnqbponb qpoerbnp an pboanspbojanspobasndbpoas BEER!!!! adngpqiwjnqiwjnbqjgnqrbnir girhgiorgnirjg erijgn alekjgnalkjfnirjvnoq3irvoq3ir qnijn qwiejfn aqwifnadkj fnasdjfn oijniorjnv qor

!!ULTRA BEAST!!

http://www.facebook.com/ultrabeast.hmp

http://youtu.be/ZYi1G9ZbC38

If AJ is good to go then he will start
    Otherwise Meyer
    Buddle might make the bench, but that's a big if
    Houston this year is much tougher then last year, this will be a great final
    LET'S GO GALAXY

I want Magee to bear my children

Houston isn't good on the road. Only 3 (17.6%) wins in the season, and only 1 (33%) on the road in the playoffs (against Chicago). 18.2% away win percentage.

LA's record at home is 10 (58.8%) decisions in the season and 2 (67%) in the playoffs at home. 54.5% home win percentage.

LA clearly has an advantage here.
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

It should be pointed out LA's schedule was tougher on average than Houston's. There is a big drop off in talent in the east after the top 6 teams.
    LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

I tend to throw stats out in the playoffs
    Also considering Kinnear coached teams tend to play beyond their level in the playoffs
    This version of Houston is much better then last year they will be a strong threat
    LET'S GO GALAXY

Forecast calls for rain. It will be exactly like last year's final haha

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Forecast calls for rain. It will be exactly like last year's final haha
    Except this year I can make it! yeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh

Also, since we have to go in early, i highly recommend everyone sticks a few of these puppies in your socks and shoes. They are cheaper in store.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductLis...7&area=spirits

LA Galaxy
    Sheffield Wednesday

YES i think i actually have one! good call

“They're a better team,” Mike Magee said when asked about how this Houston team compares to the 2011 edition “They're definitely a better team. They've got more speed and, obviously, having Brad Davis back is going to help them. They got [second-year forward] Will Bruin scoring a ton of goals. They know what it's like [to be in a final] and they're similar to us in terms of experience and leadership, which is something we can't overlook.”
    Magee's thoughts on Houston

why did i chose a college in North Carolina, what I wouldnt give to be there! you have my spirit and my voice from NC!

---------------Saunders-------------
    Franklin--Omar--Meyer---Dunivant
    Wilhemsson-Beckham-Juni--Magee
    -------Dononvan------Keane--------

Play along the flanks, use the width of our field to our advantage, the dyanmo are a very narrow team. Use our speed to kill them on the break
    LEGGO GALAXY
    LET'S GO GALAXY

"I'm going to take as much time as I need and decide if and when I'm ready to come back," he said. "I can't put a time frame on that. If it takes two weeks and I'm ready to go again or two months or a year or two years.

"Or never. I don't know."
    - Landon Donovan

In DeLaGarza’s absence, rookie centerback Tommy Meyer has flourished alongside Omar Gonzalez, starting LA’s last nine matches since DeLaGarza’s injury. Even though DeLaGarza has repeatedly stated that he has the utmost confidence in Meyer’s abilities, he’s hopeful that he’ll be able to—at the very least—suit up on the bench come Saturday.

“That’s my goal, to be able to dress and be able to help the team if I can, no matter where that might be,” asserted DeLaGarza. “If that’s just a role player or playing, I’m ready for whatever.”
    Less than a week away from MLS Cup, DeLaGarza targeting the game-day roster