Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LA Galaxy @ Sporting KC (4/7)

LA Galaxy @ Sporting KC
    Saturday, April 7th, 2012
    LIVESTRONG Sporting Park
    Kick-off: 1 p.m
    ACB Viewing Party: Dillon’s Irish Pub

No one expected the Galaxy to be struggling this early in the season. Can it be called a struggle after only 3 league games or are fans overreacting? There are those who can create an argument for either side. Many expected LA to represent MLS in what was left of the CONCACAF Champions League, but the Galaxy was eliminated by Toronto FC in Quarterfinals. Some are even considering the Galaxy’s season to be a failure due to LA’s performance in the regional tournament, which was said to be the team’s primary objective. In that series, LA had to fight hard in final minutes of first leg to get a 2-2 draw. A draw in Toronto seemed like a good result, because all the Galaxy needed was a draw in the second leg to advance. The Galaxy failed to do so, as the team fell at home for the second time in a few days. Days before, the Galaxy lost the home/season opener to Real Salt Lake, marking LA’s first defeat at home since November 2010.

Probably the part that worries LA Galaxy fans the most is the defensive troubles the team has been having. During preseason, the team gave up 17 goals in 9 games. The absence of Omar Gonzalez might be a factor for the Galaxy’s lack of positive results, but 4 out of the 5 members of last season’s backline are still playing. So far, seven goals have been given up in three league games. LA has lost 3 out of 4 games at home in all competitions so far, winning only 1 out of 5 games.

There has been a lot of talk surrounding the Galaxy after the disappointing loss to the Revolution. Rumors of a confrontation between Beckham/Sarvas at halftime began to make their way around the internet. Neither one of them came out for the second half. Different versions about what happened have been told, so in the end everything’s a rumor. When asked why Beckham didn’t come out for the second half, Arena stated subs were purely “tactical” and a “coach’s decision”. Then, rumors of Beckham not attending this Saturday’s game surfaced online on Monday. Several articles had him attending Sir Tom Finney’s birthday celebrations, but it looks like the information was false (at least, the rumors/speculation seemed to slow down after Alexi Lalas tweeted the Galaxy told him “Beckham will not be in England this weekend. However he recorded a video salute to Sir Tom Finney”).

The Galaxy’s most difficult test so far in this young season will be on Saturday, when the team plays on the road for the first time this year in league play. The opponent? Eastern Conference-leading Sporting KC, one of two teams still undefeated. LA lost to New England 1-3 this past weekend. Robbie Keane scored his third goal in two games, with Buddle assisting in LA’s lone goal against the Revolution. The Galaxy backline will be tested throughout the game, as Sapong, Kamara, and the rest of SKC are aware of LA’s defensive troubles as of late. If the Galaxy wants to turn things around, this is the game in which the team needs to show up and put on a good performance.

LA Galaxy:
    3 points, 5 GF, 7 GA
    1-2-0, 8th in Western Conference
    Home Record: 1-2-0
    Away Record: 0-0-0

Sporting KC:
    12 points, 7 GF, 1 GA
    4-0-0, 1st in Eastern Conference
    Home Record: 2-0-0
    Away Record: 2-0-0

THIS IS LA!

Don’t forget to head over to ACB’s Viewing Party at Dillon’s and pick up your 5th Anniversary ACB scarf.
    Full Menu, All Ages, Lots of TV’s! Game is at 1pm! $3 Pints ALL DAY -tons of different beers on tap.

Should be a exciting game. Hope to see a stronger Galaxy side and Donovan ready to play. See you guys at the Viewing Party!
    ////////////////////////////// L A | ★ ★ ★ ★ | Galaxy //////////////////////////////
    Hi I'm Adrian - Twitter - Pinterest - flickr -------------------- Mein Herz liegt in Deutschland /////////

Win or tie!! Loss=pushing the panic button and me getting dragged out of Dillons because I drank my sorrows away...and because the beer is cheap haha.

Our midfield needs to defend against SKC. Bruce's system calls for defending from all 11 players & thus far, our front 6 have hung the back 4 out to dry. As shaky as our D & Saunders has been, if we don't defend as a team against CJ, Bunbury, Kamara, & Zusi we are toast!
    USA ain't nothing to f*** with!

This just in: Bruce expects Donovan fit to play!
    ////////////////////////////// L A | ★ ★ ★ ★ | Galaxy //////////////////////////////
    Hi I'm Adrian - Twitter - Pinterest - flickr -------------------- Mein Herz liegt in Deutschland /////////

I'm really looking forward for this game.
    Although it'll be a difficult game, it would be awesome to take away KC's undefeated streak!

Defense needs to tighten up. Boyens needs to sit out, Meyer needs to start (he's young and it couldn't hurt). Barrett needs to get the nod for the start because he can connect with Keane (unlike Buddle). Donovan needs to be back and the midfield needs to focus. Beckham, I could care less about at this point. He's just been a grumpy ass because he's doing too much. There's a lot of issues they will hopefully be able to work out SOON.

As for the match itself... Its a bit of a drive but I might make the trip out to go to the viewing party... I kinda need an excuse to go out to LA for a day...
    Josh, that's me! (apparently... I like being redundant =P)
    "Just as I thought, the box contains a parallel universe!" - Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pox; On my "Nerdy..." thread
    I understand about half of everyone's jargon, but this is still one of my favorite threads.

If we don't bring our A game we are going to get our asses handed to us. KC is a really good team. I think this game will tell how our year will go. If we give up more than one goal I would expect a roster change.

the panic button has been pressed, we lose this one and im gonna press it so hard we are going to need a new one

-------------Saunders----------
    Franklin-Boyens-DeLaGarza-Dunivant
    Donovan-Sarvas-Beckham-Juninho
    --------Keane----Buddle----

or maybe we could go with a Boyens--Meyer CB pairing, add some height to the back 4. I love AJ terribly but hes too small without Omar
    maybe we could put AJ at LB or RB
    Last edited by aircanada12; 04-05-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    LET'S GO GALAXY

I want Magee to bear my children

I'm quickly losing faith in the abilities of Boyens.... I would think he would get the start because of experience but Meyer really needs it now and its still early enough in the season....
    Josh, that's me! (apparently... I like being redundant =P)
    "Just as I thought, the box contains a parallel universe!" - Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pox; On my "Nerdy..." thread
    I understand about half of everyone's jargon, but this is still one of my favorite threads.

Gotta be positive and hope for LA to wake up for this game and play their best game. We need to score goals, lots of them.. (since a shutout wont happen) so Keane and Barrett need score all their opportunities.

LA wins 3-2

Quote Originally Posted by jrichardson25 View Post
    Barrett needs to get the nod for the start because he can connect with Keane (unlike Buddle).
    I think Keane and Buddle actually are starting to connect well, it's just that Buddle is in a bit of a slump and now is pressing. While it was too little too late, let's not forget that Buddle was the one who threaded the beautiful through ball to set up Keane's consolation goal against the Revs, and just before halftime of that game, Keane neatly found Buddle making a run off the Revs turnover--only to have Buddle bungle the opportunity.

Keane suffered through his own patch of poor finishing to open the season, but it took only a single goal--his first against DC--to snap out it. He's been a much more relaxed and confident player ever since. Buddle is capable of scoring goals in bunches, too, and if Bruce stays patient with him, I suspect he'll start producing very soon.
    California Pete
    Los Angeles (Westchester)

I think Michael Stephens deserves a look at central mid after how solid he was in the 2nd half against NE. I wish Boyens wasn't such garbage on clearances & passing put of the back because I had the same idea about pairing him with Meyer & sliding AJ to right back.

Let's contact Dallas about George John, then we can move AJ to right back, slide Franklin up to right mid, flip Lando to the left side and have Magee resume his super sub role.

Quote Originally Posted by California Pete View Post
    I think Keane and Buddle actually are starting to connect well, it's just that Buddle is in a bit of a slump and now is pressing. While it was too little too late, let's not forget that Buddle was the one who threaded the beautiful through ball to set up Keane's consolation goal against the Revs, and just before halftime of that game, Keane neatly found Buddle making a run off the Revs turnover--only to have Buddle bungle the opportunity.

Keane suffered through his own patch of poor finishing to open the season, but it took only a single goal--his first against DC--to snap out it. He's been a much more relaxed and confident player ever since. Buddle is capable of scoring goals in bunches, too, and if Bruce stays patient with him, I suspect he'll start producing very soon.
    I agree about Buddle. If Bruce defines his role as holding up the ball & looking for Keane & runners from the midfield he can be effective. His scoring form has been poor, but his hold up play has been alright.

Since Beckham is a maybe start with

-------------Saunders----------
    AJ-Meyer-Boyens-Dunivant
    Franklin-Donovan-Juninho-Sarvas
    --------Keane----Barrett----

Then in the second half sub in Buddle, Magee, and Stephens. It wouldn't hurt to try this out.
    What's the difference between a chimichanga, a chalupa, and a tostada? Call me back asap . . . it's urgent.